How To Get Rid Of Pimples With Good Men's Facial Cleansing
Wondering how to get rid of unwanted pimples before the new day? Click here to read about solid facial cleansing for men with Garnier.
Spots are one of the most common and problematic skin concerns in young men, affecting over 75% of teenagers across the world. For the majority, they run their course by the time we reach our early twenties, but for others, they last much longer and continue to be an issue. Unfortunately, sometimes spots and pimples can also develop for the first time in adulthood (especially, without proper facial cleansing).
But, before we can understand how to get rid of pimples, it helps to know what causes them.
The main reasons that spots and pimples occur in men:
Too much Sebum
Sebum is the natural oil produced by the glands in our skin and these glands are particularly sensitive to the hormone testosterone, even at normal levels. Teenage boys start to produce higher levels of testosterone during puberty, which leads to increased oil production (this is why spots begin to be a problem for most young men around this time).
Build-up of Dead Cells in your Pores
As you naturally age, dead skin cells flake off your body and mix with the sebum, getting trapped in your pores, which cause spots. =
Letting Bacteria In
In those who are prone to spots and pimples, the accumulation of oil and dead skin cells in our pores creates an ideal environment for a particular bacterium called Propionibacterium, which allows acnes to thrive. This triggers inflammation in the skin leading to angry red bumps and pus-filled spots. In additions to these causes, there are other genetic and lifestyle factors that play a role in the development of spots in men:
Men whose fathers had spots are more likely to have them too and as well as their faces, men often get spots on their backs, shoulders and chests (hot weather and sweating due to exercise can make this worse as well).
Shaving with a blunt razor, choosing the wrong shaving gel for your skin or poor technique can trigger breakouts and irritation in many men. The good news is that there are a number of good facial cleansing steps that men can take at home to calm and prevent spots, here are our top tips on how to get rid of pimples and spots easily:
1. Cleanse your skin thoroughly every morning and evening; a good facial cleansing will keep your skin and healthy and make you feel revitalised.
2. Follow with a toner to tighten your pores, but make sure it is designed for sensitive skin so that it doesn’t irritate your skin after shaving.
3. Apply a moisturiser to soothe and repair your skin barrier - mattifying formulations, such as Garnier Pure Active Matte Control, are particularly good for soaking up any excess shine.
4. Men’s skin is 25-30% thicker than women’s! Using an exfoliating scrub 2 to 3 times a week will prevent dead skin cells from building up and blocking your pores. There are some excellent products, like Garnier’s Pure Active Intensive 3 in 1 Wash, Scrub & Mask, that multitask as a face wash, scrub and mask for those who are short on time.
5. Avoid applying greasy hair styling products too near to your hairline as they can slide down onto your face and get trapped in your pores.
6. If you get pimples on your back and chest, look for a shower gel or body wash containing the ingredient salicylic acid (you can also use your body scrub on your back a couple of times a week).
7. Shower as soon as possible after exercise; bacteria loves sweaty skin, so it is important to remove your gym clothes at the earliest opportunity and wash thoroughly after a workout.
8. Carry a spare T-shirt with you if you tend to sweat more in warmer weather.
9. Change your razor blade regularly; if shaving bumps are a problem for you, avoid shaving too closely.
10. Whatever you do, don’t pick, squeeze or scratch your spots; this increases inflammation and can lead to scarring.