Eco beauty: Reduce waste within your beauty routine
From zero plastic waste shampoo bars to reusable makeup pads, explore how you can reduce waste within your beauty regime with Garnier.
Taking care of ourselves should go hand-in-hand with taking care of the planet, but for far too long, the beauty industry has been a major contributor to climate change. We can’t afford to ignore the problem any longer.
Waste is perhaps the beauty industry’s most damaging product. Many of the items we use in our daily routine are single-use and non-biodegradable, while their packaging is typically made from non-recyclable virgin plastic. This means these products will continue to harm the environment well past our lifetimes.
To put it in perspective, the average UK household uses 216 plastic haircare bottles every year, while wet wipes contribute to 93% of sewer blockages in the UK. Just two examples of the alarmingly negative impact waste in the beauty industry has had on the environment.
It’s our responsibility at Garnier to lead the charge towards a brighter future for our planet by championing sustainable beauty that’s accessible and affordable. Our commitment to Green Beauty includes solidarity sourcing, exploring Green Sciences, embracing renewable energy, and working with NGOs to improve the environmental and social impact of plastic pollution.
We also aim to use reusable, recyclable, or compostable packaging with zero virgin plastic for all our products by 2025, which will save 37,000 tonnes of plastic every year! Already, we’ve launched the first mass-market cardboard-based packaging for our Organic Hemp Gel Cream.
These are our commitments, but what can you do? Let’s explore a few ways we can ensure our routine doesn’t just keep us beautiful and healthy, but keeps the planet beautiful and healthy too.
Reusable & recyclable beauty products
Single-use products have long been the norm in the beauty world, and something we can all do to help care for the environment is to reduce waste by switching to reusable, recyclable alternatives.
Think about how many wet wipes you throw out – or worse, flush down the loo – every day. Or the number of plastic bottles we go through in a year. Add cotton swabs, foundation tubes, tampon applicators, disposable razors, toothbrushes… a quick look in your bathroom bin will highlight just how much waste we create while simply looking after our bodies.
Shopping sustainably shouldn’t be a costly or arduous task; as leaders in the industry, that’s on us, and it’s a responsibility we don’t take lightly.
Our commitment to Green Beauty means redefining the present and future of the industry. This means innovating, exploring new formulas, and discovering new ways to offer the same quality and care as always, without damaging our environment.
It’s up to you to embrace sustainable living in your routine, but it’s our responsibility to make it easier for you to do so by providing you with eco-beauty products that make a real difference:
Zero plastic waste shampoo bars
Shampoo doesn’t need a plastic bottle, and through our new shampoo bar, you can hugely reduce plastic waste. Outside of its recyclable packaging, the shampoo soap bar itself is crafted from sustainable, ethically sourced natural ingredients and guided by our Green Science initiative. Truly the best shampoo bars for sustainability, they’re cruelty-free, vegan, and produce zero plastic waste.
Eco-friendly reusable makeup pads
Our reusable makeup pads can be washed and reused up to 1,000 times each, completely eliminating daily cotton and plastic waste. They’re gentle on the skin and kind to the planet. By switching to sustainable, reusable makeup remover pads, you’ll be helping to reduce the estimated 12.7 million tonnes of plastic that ends up in oceans yearly.
Reducing waste in your beauty routine
Reducing waste doesn’t mean upending your beauty routine entirely; simple shifts in your habits go a long way:
- If you already have plastic bottles, reuse them. Use refillable beauty products, and where possible, use biodegradable products without any plastic at all.
- If you can’t go completely plastic-free, recycle correctly and choose products that use recycled plastic. Through our partnership with TerraCycle®, we’re making it easier for UK households to recycle Garnier products and eliminate waste.
- Give up on disposable face wipes and cotton pads. These are non-biodegradable and are one of the most significant pollutants of our oceans and waterways. Instead, go for reusable cotton pads or other sustainable alternatives.
- Go bamboo. If you replace your toothbrush as often as you’re supposed to, and you’re still using plastic toothbrushes, you’re certainly not doing the planet any favours. Biodegradable bamboo, on the other hand, will decompose within six months. The same goes for disposable razors; swap these out for a long-lasting, non-plastic alternative.
- Use less water. Don’t keep the tap running during your routine and only use as much water as necessary.
- Be conscious of the products you use, their ingredients, and how they’re made. Support brands that support ethical and sustainable production. We’re introducing impact labelling on all our products, helping you understand their social and environmental impact so you can shop more consciously.
Just a few simple adjustments to our routine, the products we use, and how we dispose of them will make a world of difference.
Learn more about our commitment to sustainability on our Green Beauty page.